Sunday, May 2, 2010

To My Brother, With Love

Meet Jason. Jason is my brother, and he is 3 years older than me. Now, Jason and I have had a developing and interesting relationship from day one. I'm not sure what it was live my first few years of life, but I'm sure he was nice to me for a while. See the pic below - he looks nice:


But then, somewhere along the way, something changed. Maybe it was that I finally began to talk, or just developed a little personality. Whatever it was, we eventually became enemies. Sibling enemies. In the early years it looked like this: I loved and admired my big brother, so I would follow him and his friends around everywhere. Everywhere. Sometimes he would put up with it, for which I am thankful, but other times, I would get sent home. I did not go willingly most of the time. Also, I can admit it now, but I was a bit of an instigator. I would even premeditate my attacks on Jason by pre-locking a door (either my bedroom or the bathroom), staying a good distance back to make up for leg span, and pegging him hard with some hard, small object. Like a remote control. Then, I would run. I would run like my life depended on it...because it did :). I would run to that room and slam the door, pre-locked because I wouldn't have time to lock it otherwise, Jason was such a fast runner.

Below is a reenactment of our typical strangling holds on each other.

The funny thing is, though, that even as we fought like cats and dogs, we also laughed like crazy together. Jason and I were born with the same sense of humor. When we moved to Atlanta in '98, he was also all I had, him and my family. So we hung out more. Don't get me wrong, we fought, but also continued to laugh and hang out together.

We look like we belong to the Addams family in this pic :)

Somewhere along the way, we became the best of friends. I have made two cross-country trips, one from Atlanta to LA, and one from LA to Seattle. We have traveled up the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) together. We stayed a weekend in San Francisco. We visited San Diego once and ate at the restaurant that was made famous because of Top Gun. I love my brother.


I also love my brother because I greatly respect him. He is a successful businessman. He is a true and loyal friend. He embraces life and enjoys the beauty of creation. He travels. He is hilarious. He loves with all his heart. He is incredibly smart - brilliant, even. He is a man of many passions, and he chases them with fervor. He goes on adventures as often as possible. I love my brother.

At Carrabbas with my two awesome siblings.

Hiking a trail in Laguna Beach

I love my siblings!

Traveling on our 2nd cross-country trip, moving Jason to Seattle!

Eating our first meal in Seattle at some Mexican restaurant.

My awesome bro and his sweet dog, Grey.

Hanging out at the first Starbucks ever...

Hiking with J and Grey in the beauty of Seattle.

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say that I laughed out loud when I saw the Adams family picture!!

    This was so sweet. so true. and so funny.

    I truly have the best siblings ever.

    ReplyDelete