Gretchen's visit to GWU, Fall 05
I've decided to write posts over the next few weeks/months (however long it takes) about the people most special in my life. Today, I want to write about Gretchen. She goes by many other names, but most of you know her as Gretchen. We know her as Booger Butt, Spike, Stinky Poo Poo Number Two Two (don't ask), Gutenburg, Richens, Sees, Pretty Pretty Princess, G G, and so on. Whoever has the pleasure of knowing Gretchen knows what a special person she is. Gretchen is one of those women that exudes tenderness, compassion, and kindness. She is also hilarious and incredibly fun.
I'm sure I will later regret putting this pic on here...
I know I will regret posting this one, but it's just too funny not to share!
Six years is quite an age difference between two sisters, but it didn't keep Gretchen from being my playmate. When we lived in El Paso, we would entertain ourselves by jumping on the trampoline, playing various imagination games, or watching excellent TV shows (Arthur, Lambchops Singalong, Shiningtime Station, My Brother and Me, Boy Meets World...need I go on?). Then we moved to Atlanta, GA. I think this is when we started to get really close. Moving to a place where you have no friends is a way to draw a family together, for sure!
With Jason in LA, Summer 07
Over the years, Gretchen and I have drawn closer and closer together. We've laughed, cried, fought, explored, and conquered together. One time, I was holding Gretchen up (trying to be funny, surprise, surprise), but then I dropped her on accident. It was all fun and games until Gretchen started crying, I looked down, and her pinky toe was at a 90 degree angle to her foot. Not a fun experience then, but pretty funny now. Or there's also the time we visited Jason in LA. We arrived during the business day, and he had to work. We were exhausted from our flights and ready to just lay out at the beach, so we hopped in his car to find a beach. We passed many beaches along the way, including Long Beach and Huntington Beach, and finally we decided to stop...at Dog Beach. Strange name, we thought, but who cares. There's the ocean, and there's the nice warm sand. So we paid to park, walked down to the beach, and found us a nice spot to lay out. We both passed out for a while, and I remember opening my eyes to a pile of dog poo near my face. Gretchen had a similar experience. We looked around and noticed an unusual number of people with dogs. Then it started to sink in. This wasn't named Dog Beach for fun. No, it was named Dog Beach because this is where people bring their dogs to run around without a leash, to poop and pee at will, and to roam freely.
Not at Dog Beach, but same trip. I think we're in San Diego here.
I could go on and on with hilarious stories, fun memories, and cute anecdotes about Gretchen Elizabeth Jones. Most of you have your memories and stories. I'm just thankful I have a sister who is one of my best friends. Not everyone can say that about their sister, but I can, and I love that.
Christmas 06
Wedding! August 16, 2008
Me, Gretchen, and Trey, Fort Worth Zoo May 2008






No comments:
Post a Comment